Director of Communications - ARCHIVE
The Director of Communications position reports to the Head of School. This position will develop and implement innovative and integrated communications and marketing plans consistent with the School’s mission and branding. The director manages the Communications Associate, as well as freelancers, to create content (print, photography, social media, website, public relations, etc.) that highlights the School’s programs and people and engages a variety of internal and external audiences. The individual will have the following specific responsibilities, but not limited to:
- Responsible for ensuring that all printed and web publications of EHS reflect the School’s personality and mission; publications should be of the highest quality, both in writing and design, and should be delivered on deadline and within the budget.
- Collaborates with Advancement, Auction, Annual Fund, Parent Groups, and Admissions to create collateral such as logos, themes, writing, and publicity.
- Responsible for creating the weekly parent e-newsletter and home page news.
- Collaborates with the senior leadership team to manage media relations efforts and maintain relationships with members of the news media.
- Collaborates with the senior leadership team on Crisis Management communications.
- Responsible for creating and coordinating a strong public relations program for the School that conveys a positive image and spreads news of the School’s successes to students, parents, alumni, faculty, and the community.
- Collaborates with the graphic designers and webmaster to create effective visuals and assist with photographic duties.
- Works closely with Advancement and Auction staff and the webmaster to write, proof, or edit all content, and is also available to consult with staff and faculty regarding any writing project. The publications and public relations programs work in tandem to foster continued interest, pride, and support for EHS among all our constituents.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, graphic design, or communications with a minimum of 8 years of experience in communications and/or public relations.
- Must be proficient with all programs in Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, PhotoShop, and Illustrator.
- Prior experience managing staff is preferred.
- Must have superior written and oral communications skills and a flexible can-do attitude.
- Must have strong attention to detail; demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Must have a professional demeanor.
- Ability to communicate effectively with constituents, co-workers, parents, and students.
- Ability to supervise and manage multiple functions and activities.
- Ability to work several events at night and on weekends.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner, organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Demonstrate confidence interacting with all levels of the organization, including senior leadership.
- Ability to work on website and content management system.
- Ability to take photographs at events
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
- Generally works in standard office conditions and climate.
- Works in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Works at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
Interested candidates are asked to e-mail a cover letter, resume, and contact information of four references to Evelyn Cambria, Director of Finance and Operations at email@example.com. The request to complete and submit via regular mail or email an employment application (https://www.ehshouston.org/about/employment) will be made later in the process.