Director of Major Gifts
The Director of Major Gifts will report to the Chief Development Officer. This position will be a
key driver to propel the fundraising capacity of Episcopal High School’s development efforts.
The Director of Major Gifts will engage in and be responsible for all aspects of the donor
development cycle including donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgment,
partnership and stewardship to motivate donors around major gifts and giving at EHS. This
individual will be responsible for the following specific responsibilities, but not limited to:
Strategy, Cultivation and Solicitation
• Work with Chief Development Officer to establish quarterly fundraising goals and strategies, identify a shifting portfolio of donor prospects to cultivate, and execute specific “moves” (e.g., meetings, event invitations, donor materials) to build meaningful relationships with prospective donors and exceed revenue targets.
• Develops and executes innovative strategies for obtaining both new and returning donors.
• Identifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards donors and prospective donors for major gifts of all ranges.
• Design and execute leadership gift solicitations annually for a portfolio of high-level prospective donors.
• Organizes prospective donor visits both for new qualification engagements as well as stewarding existing donors.
• Plan and execute donor events to bring prospects closer to EHS.
• Develop and implement cultivation strategies to best manage a portfolio of major gift donors and high wealth prospects who have the capacity to make significant contributions to EHS.
• Serve as a primary staff contact for a tailored prospect portfolio consisting of individuals and households capable of making significant contributions annually.
• Maintain an annual pool of prospective major gift donors who will be solicited within the next 12-18 month period.
• Conduct personal visits with major donors and prospects, scheduling visits monthly for the purpose of qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
• Identify major gift prospects and develop compelling engagement strategies to solicit and close gifts as outlined above. In collaboration with members of the Development Team, identify, develop and cultivate a significant prospect-pipeline as part of the School’s evolving fundraising strategy.
• Prepare donor profiles, written proposals, gift agreements, and other materials needed to define, secure and document major gifts.
• Effectively utilize the development database to maintain records of contacts with donors and prospects. Analyze potential donor research materials to track, evaluate and present relevant giving information for fundraising planning and outreach.
• A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year institution.
• Five or more years of major gifts fundraising experience.
• Proven track record of soliciting and securing major gifts.
• Creative advancement professional, able to identify funding opportunities and match them with donor and prospect interest.
• An entrepreneurial individual who demonstrates progressive advancement experience.
• A team player and builder who is naturally collaborative, self-motivated, and goal-oriented.
• Experience working successfully with institutional leaders, including leadership, colleagues, and volunteer leadership.
• Strong communication skills - both written and verbal.
• Must have a professional demeanor.
• Knowledge of independent school cultures a plus.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
• Occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
• Generally works in standard office conditions and climate.
• Works in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
• May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
Interested candidates are asked to e-mail a cover letter, resume, and contact information of four references to Lauren Newton, Director of Human Resources at Lnewton@ehshouston.org . The request to complete and submit via regular mail or email an employment application (https://www.ehshouston.org/about/employment) will be made later in the process.