School Nurse 2021-2022
The School Nurse position reports to the current School Nurse. This position will serve the students,
families, faculty, and staff of Episcopal High School in a role that bridges health care and education. The
school nurse provides support for the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of students through an
evidence-based approach to health care. The individual will have the following specific responsibilities, but
not limited to:
- Maintains a clean, well-organized clinic setting, and approaches the clinic as a safe and nurturing space for students, parents, faculty and staff.
- Reviews and maintains electronic student health records including receipt of records, interpretation of immunizations, health histories, physician physicals, emergency action plans, consent to treat and athletic consents, and medication permits.
- Provides assessment, intervention, and referral for students who are experiencing acute illness, medical emergencies, or physical injury.
- Provides accurate documentation in the student electronic health record after completion of student assessments and intervention.
- Administers and documents all prescription medications and physician prescribed treatments, and ensures appropriate permits are in the electronic student health record.
- Administers and documents all over-the-counter medications given according to parent permission and specified guidelines.
- Assesses, responds and refers students who exhibit behavior that necessitates behavioral and/or psychiatric intervention.
- Communicates with administrators, faculty, and staff to provide a safe and healthy school clinic setting. Works closely with grade level deans to ensure student health needs are met in all aspects of the school day.
- Works cooperatively with athletic trainers to ensure that student medical needs are met after injuries are sustained.
- Serves as a liaison between the student, home, and school, as needed.
- Professional Registered Nurse with 3+ years’ experience.
- Experience in School environment preferred.
- Current Licensure with Texas Board of Nurses.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all constituents in a school setting.
- Demonstrates technology competency.
- Ability to maintain all student and employee information with absolute confidentiality.
- Proven ability to work independently, using best practices skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner, organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Attention to detail; demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Demonstrate professionalism in all aspects of the job.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
- Generally works in standard office conditions and climate.
- Works in a highly stressful environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
Interested candidates are asked to e-mail a cover letter, resume, and contact information of four references to Lauren Newton, Human Resource Manager at email@example.com. The request to complete and submit via regular mail or email an employment application (www.ehshouston.org/about/employment) will be made later in the process.