Hello EHS Parents,
Let's give a big EHS shoutout to our Knights who are competing in the SPC tournaments later this week!
In this edition:
- Grandparents Day details
- Check out Parenting in Faith and the Parent Forum
- Auction letters for our Greatest Knight Gala will hit mailboxes this week
- Teacher Comments in MyBackPack
Dear EHS Parents,
As the first quarter ends, cumulative grades are posted. It is also our custom for teachers to provide you with a short narrative on the progress of your student in each of his/her classes. These narratives, termed Teacher Comments, were released yesterday on October 31 and may be accessed through MyBackPack on the EHS website, through Parent Central. These narrative reports are to highlight your student's strengths in a particular discipline and to offer suggestions for improvement. While still quite early in the school year with ample opportunity to make course corrections, it is an excellent time for students to examine study habits and styles, adjust goals, and find new ways to increase engagement. We have an array of faculty and staff always willing and available to provide academic support to you and your student. If there are questions or concerns or if you need new strategies, my recommendation is to always start with the teacher. By first building a strong relationship here, communication will be optimized, and your student will be more comfortable asking direct questions, going to tutorials, and enhancing his/her motivation. In addition, the advisor, Grade Level Dean, Assistant Grade Level Dean, and learning specialists in our Academic Assistance Office are eager to work with any student.
Please reach out to Dr. Antonio Avalos, Principal and Head of the Academic Pillar, or myself if we may be of further assistance to you and your student. Thank you for a wonderful first quarter of the school year!
Associate Head of School
Parent Forum: November 2
Parents, please join us tomorrow Wednesday, November 2, when Thomson Ivins from the Council on Recovery will speak to us about the risks to high school students presented by excessive video-gaming, gambling, and technology misuse. Parent Forums meet in Anderson Lecture Hall on the first floor of our Brown Learning Resource Center and are also recorded for later viewing. Join us for a light lunch and conversation beginning at 11:30 a.m., and the presentation will begin at 11:45 a.m., with time for Q & A before ending at 12:45 p.m.
Parenting in Faith: November 2
On the first Wednesday of every month, parents are invited to come to the Bishop's Parlor in the Convent Building at 7:45 a.m. for coffee, donuts, connection, and the Parenting in Faith discussion from 8:00-8:30 a.m. For the 2022-2023 school year, the chaplains will present ideas from The Hopeful Family: Raising Resilient Children in Uncertain Times as a starting point for discussion about parenting and the intersections of faith, family, meaning, and hope amidst life challenges. The topic in November will be "Sabbath: finding presence through our best yes." No reading or preparation is needed to attend!
Interim Term Course Sign-Up Begins This Week
Yesterday, during the Interim Term Rollout Chapel, students received general information about the purpose and structure of Interim Term. Registration for classes begins this week and is staggered by grade level, such that upper grade levels have priority. All students should use the webpage linked below to review the course offerings and determine their preferences in advance of their registration date. It is recommended that sophomores and freshmen prepare a minimum of their top 20 preferences in the event that some courses are full with upperclassmen.
Registration Timeline for Interim Term Elective Courses:
November 3 in Family Chapel– Juniors
November 8 in Advisory – Sophomores
November 10 in Family Chapel – Freshmen
The Interim Term 2023 Course Offerings are available here.
Save the Date: Grandparents Day is Friday,
EHS family grandparents are invited to join their grandchildren for Chapel in Alkek Gym, followed by lunch in Scurlock Gym, beginning at 10:15 a.m. on Friday, November 18.
If your Knight's grandparents plan to join us, kindly reply to Lauren Turner.
The Greatest Knight Auction Underwriting Letters Arrive in Mailboxes this Week
Be on the lookout for your Auction Underwriting letter this week -- this is your ticket to Auction night! Underwriters receive acknowledgement in all Auction publications and invitations, as well as preferred seating at the Auction. Beat the rush and register online, or mail your underwriter reply card (enclosed with your underwriting letter) to the Auction office. The deadline to register is Friday December 9, 2022.
College Counseling News
Seniors: Application Workshops: Your college counselors will hold another application workshop today after school for those final touches for applications due November 1. We will also be available tomorrow after school in Anderson Lecture Hall to help with applications due on the next upcoming deadline, November 15..
- AP Information: EHS is in the process of finalizing AP Exam registration for 2023. Please go to College Connections to learn more about AP exam dates and fees. Please reach out to Mrs. Toussant with any questions at email@example.com.
- Pre-ACT/PSAT Information: Thanks to everyone for a smooth test administration. If you have any questions regarding the test, please email Mrs. Toussant.
- PSAT scores will be available via the student's College Board account in December. If your student does not yet have a College Board account, your student can create one by clicking here. It is highly encouraged students use their personal email addresses when creating College Board accounts. Parents, if you create your student's account, please share the information with your student. This account is used for future AP and SAT exam registrations. The College Board will email your student when scores are available to view using their account.
- Pre-ACT score reports will be available in paper format only. Paper score reports for BOTH Pre-ACT and PSAT will be sent directly to EHS and mailed home to families.
- Juniors & Seniors: 2022-2023 SAT TEST DATES You can register for the December 3 SAT by November 3. 2022-2023 ACT TEST DATES You can also register for the December 10th ACT with a registration deadline of November 4.
- Seniors: Are you planning to apply for financial aid in college? You can begin by creating your FSA ID here and then start completing your FAFSA October 1. Be sure to visit our "Paying for College" page on Counseling Connections for more detailed information.
More information and details can be found on our Counseling Connections page.
Coffee with the Mental Health
Counselors and Chaplains
On the last Wednesday of each month, from 7:45-8:30 a.m., parents are invited to drop by the Bishop's Parlor for coffee and conversation with our counseling & chaplaincy team. Drop in! Come with questions – or just enjoy some coffee! We'll see you on November 30.
Tuesday - November 1, 2022
Wednesday - November 2, 2022
8:00 AM - 8:30 AM
Thursday - November 3, 2022
Friday - November 4, 2022
Saturday - November 5, 2022
Tuesday - November 8, 2022
3:15 PM - 6:30 PM
Wednesday - November 9, 2022
Friday - November 11, 2022
Saturday - November 12, 2022
Sunday - November 13, 2022
Monday - November 14, 2022
Tuesday - November 15, 2022
Episcopal High School - 4650 Bissonnet Bellaire, Texas 77401
©17-18 EHS Windows | Director of Communications - Jessica Morales | email